Tuesday 2 November 2010

Red letter day


Well it could have been but maybe it should be red face day as I was contacted by young Foghorn whose keen eyes spotted that the Swallow posted on 24th October under Summer and Winter collide may have been Red rumped Swallow! The pic above is the only other I took which is amazing as, but for the time of year, I wouldn't normally have paid much attention. In my defence at not announcing the bird for all and sundry, I have no experience of this species, the sighting lasted fifteen seconds at most and I was distracted by having seen two Swallows over Prestwick Mill farm the week before so just assumed a late nest. The matter is now open for those who decide such things whether the pictures are sufficient to support adding the bird to the Prestwick Carr list. Thanks to Andrew, Mark and Tim for their comments.
Meanwhile my latest attempt at adding to the list has floundered as GB kindly pointed out that the possible White Wagtail has a black rump therefore is just a Pied.

As my Swan song I called in at Whittle Dene yesterday where nine Whooper Swans flew in for a drink after feeding in the nearby fields. The birds are a family party of two adults and five juveniles present for a week or so who have been joined by two more adults.


After half an hour or so the birds returned to their feeding with the encouragement of the local Mute Swans of which the male of one of the two pairs present is particularly bolshy. Also present 40 Mallard, 2 Tufted Duck, 2 Goldeneye, 10 Wigeon, 14 Teal, 2 Little Grebe, 1 Coot, 1 Cormorant, 1 Grey Heron, 2 Green Sandpiper in the sluice and a few passing Black headed and Common Gulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment