Sunday 6 March 2011

Two by two


As I walked out of Dinnington Post Office on Friday lunchtime I noticed a flock of feeding Jackdaw on the green and amongst them were not one, but two birds showing characteristics of the Nordic 'monedula' sub species. I also managed to find one up at Elsdon on a Bird Atlas survey last weekend so I'm beginning to wonder whether I'm seeing things or that this bird is not as rare as previous records suggest.



Meanwhile on Prestwick Carr the list staggers on to 64 with three Dunlin on the flash water last weekend and the Curlew flock building to around 30-40 birds. The water though is draining well and will likely be gone by the end of this week. Just in time fror the start of Spring passage...bummer.
As I had my Nordic encounter the first Oystercatcher of the year flew calling overhead so I headed up to Banks Pond where the pairs were forming. The Canada Geese had returned and would likely breed here with the Swans which had been forced off the pond on the Carr by the freeze earlier in the week likely to return there and a pair of Tufted Duck who always gather here pre nuptials but never appear to breed. I wonder where they go to?


A pair of Greylag Geese have established a territory deep in the heart of the Carr and can be heard most mornings calling before heading off together for some grazing.




But grey on greyness does not produce a great photograph! Come on sun, lets have yer.


1 comment:

  1. There was a very nordic looking bird at the end of Fawdon Lane too on Friday, feeding next to the traffic lights that take you on to Kingston Park Road.

    ReplyDelete