Sunday 24 April 2011

New species



On a splendid day yesterday I wondered whether I could claim a new species for the Carr. A Moustached Finch was picking its way around the gate of one of the horse paddocks. Of course it flew off to a nest located nearby and returned moments later to reveal its true identity as a female Chaffinch. Never mind, in the bright sunshine the place was heaving with life singing warblers being the major feature.



The Sedgies (No 85 on the PC list) had arrived overnight and although skulking were singing loudly as were Whitethroat, Willow and Grasshopper Warblers. The tallies for my 2km walk were 6 Sedge Warbler, 15 Whitethroat, 33 Willow Warbler and 9 Grasshopper Warbler of which I actually managed to see two but the photos were less than successful.





Another photographic failure were the Golden Plover many of the flock of 150 resplendent in breeding plummage. I waited at a gate for twenty minutes as the flock slowly made its way toward me. Armed only with my 50 -250 zoom I took a number of shots but the birds never came close enough for a result eventually being spooked by a couple of Crows and returning to the middle of the field where three Hares were basking in the sun. I did however manage a close fly by of an Oystercatcher which has a nest site somewhere in the same field.




Male Pheasants called out their territories and made a colourful sight as one cautiously crossed the bumpy road which was busy with cyclists of all shapes and creeds.




Linnets and Yellowhammers were also very vocal the former keeping a healthy distance from this frustrated photographer although the latter were far more generous. The total for the walk was 47 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment