Saturday 18 February 2012

Turned out nice

I groaned when I looked out of the window this morning as the rain pattered on the kitchen roof and the outlook for birding was poor. Heavy rain and showers it forecast on the news so after filling the feeders and watching my two garden Robins facing off, I settled down at the other PC to work.
Nine fifteen and I suddenly realised it was sunny, if breezy, outside. I looked at the long list of things to do and it must have been at least five seconds before I decided to head off out. Well, I might miss something good!
First thing I noticed as I walked down the road was numerous calling Skylarks and one in full song. It reminded me of Wednesday when I had the scope on a flock of Pink footed Geese in the horses fields trying to find a Bean or Whitefront when a bird flashed through the view. A Peregrine just missed a Skylark which flew over my head in bright chirpy song. It also flushed me an unseen Oystercatcher so the list progressed to 61 for the year. Later the Peregrine headed off toward the airport after a second attack on the Starling flock returning to Brunswick.

The two Whoopers still remain today with the Pinkfoots and a handfull of Greylags. A pair of Willow Tit looked like they were nest prospecting near the golf course, five Buzzard played in the wind over the edge of the wood and a Curlew called reminding me they would soon arrive en masse. A very pleasant walk notched up 40 species with the obligatory Shortie for good measure.

Still eight or more present. I wonder when they will depart to their breeding grounds. There has been some nice display in the last few weeks with communal soaring and wing claps observed on a number of occasions.

No comments:

Post a Comment