Sunday 1 April 2012

Buzzard at Banks

You forget how big these things are when you see them every day soaring over the wood but by chance one was perched near Banks Pond as I left the village this afternoon and I managed to sneak a couple of shots before it spotted me and buzzed off.
It reminds me that it's two years yesterday that a real big boy, a White tailed Eagle showed up on the Carr. The conditions couldn't be more different. Flooded then and drying out to a crust now so I doubt another will be attracted to visit. The bird was identified by tags and transmitter as being released in Fife in 2008 and departed Prestwick Carr on 1st April 2010 for a tour of northern England travelling down over Catterick to the Yorkshire coast, feasting on Canada Goose on the Humber then across to Lancashire and back home to Scotland via the Lake District. If only we all had such wings and petrol stations were superfluous.

1 comment: