Thursday 10 May 2012

Great crest

Overshot a meeting a site visit at Heddon yesterday and went up to Whittle Dene where the Grebes were looking good.
If you go round in circles really fast you can create a whirlpool you know. The main target of my visit, Yellow Wagtail was heard but only seen in flight disappearing into the rape. Pretty good cover for a yellow bird!
The Common Terns are back and vocal with some courting chases going on. Unfortunately the greyness flattened any good flight shots. For some reason the Agency has the northern reservoir drained down four feet or so for maintenance. Hope it doesn't disturb their nesting although last time I looked their raft was nearly at the shore line.
Back on patch somebody in a horse box had found out the meaning of soft verges. Today god is trying to fill up that reservoir again and topping up the flood on the Carr to boot. Hopefully I'll get a Yellow Wag here or better still one of the birds I've been told I've missed over the last week. Green Sand, Wood Sand, Garganey, Greenshank, Whinchat and another big bird. I know I had an exceptional week last week but I'm greedy and if I'd seen everything that has been present I'd be on 105! Actual count 97 and hoping.

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean when you say VTOL Guillemot. Could you explain please. Thank you Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew,

    ask Mr David Cameron, he has just ordered a few yesterday.

    Peter,

    At least Im in elite company, I haven't seen a Yellow Wag either.

    Jihn

    ReplyDelete