Thursday 14 March 2013

Ups and downs

Busy week at work, busy week in the garden. As with most gardens this winter Siskins are a regular visitor and nice to see a pair hopefully ready for the season,
After a barren five years Tree Sparrows have returned to my garden peaking at seven with hopefully more to come. But then there is poor Robin
First noted about a month ago in my garden I thought it had a plumage aberration but being very skulking and chased by the other birds I never got a good view. On Sunday it finally came into the open but wasn't flying very well at all. The picture shows a disease, probably fungal, that has removed all head feathers leaving the skull exposed and the eyes restricted. On Monday I found the bird dead looking like it had been attacked by others and I suppose thankfully its suffering had been ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment