Monday 6 May 2013

Being a bad birdwatcher

Friday saw another bird added to the Prestwick Carr list. Water Pipit was found by PRM which sent me into a bit of a frenzy. On the 19th last month whilst photographing Yellow Wagtails I noticed a Pipit which I thought was a Rock Pipit. Then I thought again, come on now Peter this is your inland patch so ignored it. Just in case I took some shots and returned to the Yellow Wags. The report now had me searching the images for that day but the few I found were not in the order I recalled so I sent them to the finder for comment and of course I had some poor shots of Meadow Pipit. Must make a note in future to observe rather than just look.
Never mind the PC list is now 196 and the double ton is in sight with 157 in the bag for me. In hope of more have spent the weekend searching but in vain as the flash water dries up by the minute. Today as I got out of the car I met Nigel and we headed up the road where the Wheatear were at rest rather than hopping around in their usual manner.
Scanning the pools no Pipits at all and few Wagtails but Linnets sang overhead and the weather was set fair. Up the bridle track for better views of the remaining flash water only one White Wagtail was the highlight along with more Wheatears and a single Lapwing. Then a familiar call. Common Tern and there it hove into view with fish in beak heading east toward Big Waters. Ton up for the Carr with Blackcap heard at the golf course on Saturday.
At the sentry box views up the hedgerow in the hope of Pied Flycatcher produced pairs of Redstart, Goldfinch, Chaffinch and Long tailed Tit. All the warblers (Willow, Sedge, Grasshopper, Whitethroat and possible Blackcap) were in full song and Buzzards called in the distance. Chris joined us telling of Osprey at Whittle Dene a possible for this afternoon although unfortunately I have work planned.
Also pleasant were the first multiple butterfly sightings of the year three Small White, two Tortoiseshell, Peacock and my first Orange Tip were all ticked. It must now be spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment