Sunday 20 October 2013

Closer

With my Sunday already planned around the Bookfair at Tynemouth and lunch at the folks it was up at first early and out at first light to see whether the Shrike had stayed the night. I really don't know why I bothered because my previous experience of this species tells me it's not an early riser. 
As the sun broke through just before 8.00am the bird appeared and was instantly set upon by two Magpies. This also tallies with the previous visit where they followed the Shrike around no doubt raiding its larder. This time however I can forgive them as they drove the bird toward me. Half a dozen shots in poor light through a hedge isn't exactly perfect but probably more fortunate than the many who visited today most of whom got a decent view but nearly always distant.
I then had a free run of all the books at Tynemouth because STH was watching the Shrike!

No comments:

Post a Comment